santa cruz wharf

21 July 2008

a long life...well lived.

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.
Live you life in a manner so that when you die...
the world cries...
and you rejoice.
--Native American Proverb

papa picEarly yesterday morning...in a restful sleep...my dear Grandfather "Papa" gently passed on.   Born in 1915, he was one of 13 children. (yeah...if you do the math he was 93 years old). He was married to my Gramma for over 67 years, and they had four children...my Momma being the oldest. 
I am the third of thirteen grandchildren...and my daughter Rhiannon is the oldest of twelve great-grands.
 
Papa met his death on his own terms.  Until a couple months ago, he drove himself...did laundry and cooking....and took all our money at poker. Following a series of heart attacks he chose to let his body take its own course.

I am sitting here in San Jose Airport in the middle of the ccl_allnight...waiting for the first flight out to Indiana.  I go to represent my Momma...and the California contingent.  I go to celebrate his life....but I go with a heavy heart.  It was difficult to leave my Momma...in the midst of her own battles...even with the support of my step dad and my sister. She has kept her secret for quite a while now...but her absence at this time will totally out her.

I have so many memories of my Papa.  It's a pretty good bet I'll  write some more later. 

The death of someone we know always reminds us that we are still alive...perhaps for some purpose which we ought to re-examine.
~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook

24 comments:

Maggie Moo said...

Hi Katherine,

I'm sorry to hear about your Papa's passing. I'll be thinking of you and sending prayers to your family...especially your Momma...

Lots of love,

Mags

Liz Hill said...

I'm sorry to hear your Papa has passed but glad he was able to 'leave on his own terms'. There's grace in that.

My best wishes to you and your family sugar.

Desert Songbird said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers for you and your family.

Sandee said...

I'm so sorry Katherine. Papa's are indeed very special individuals in our lives. I so remember. Big hug honey. You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. :)

Odat said...

My condolences....and my prayers for him, you and your own Moma.....
Peace

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Katherine:

My prayers go out to your entire family...Thank you for allowing us a glimpse into your papa's final few months...

As others have said...his being able to 'leave on his own terms' is something we all hope for in our lives...

HUGS

The Teamster said...

by now you're in Indiana, I pray for all of your family but in particular your mom. I'm truly sorry she can't be there with you to remember her father.

and 3:06 a.m. is in the middle of the morning, not the middle of the night......

Schmoop said...

Best to you and your family Kat. Have a safe trip. Cheers!!

Travis Cody said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. Best wishes to your mom and to you.

david mcmahon said...

My depest and most sincere condolences. I never had grandparents - and have always thought those who did were extremely fortunate.

If such a thing were possible, I will be with you in spirit, wishing you strength at the funeral.

Been away in Malaysia for two weeks, hence the long silence.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours during this time.

robkroese said...

I'm sorry for your loss. He has a very kind face.

Merisi said...

My deepest condolences!
Losing a loved one is always heartbreaking, and grandparent are special in one's life. I am sure he would want you to go live your life to the fullest, doing him proud.

I came over here thanks to David .

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Teamster... nit-picking...I think it is the middle of the night...the morning does not begin until you wake!

The Teamster said...

but bond...i get up for work at 3:45 am. (start work at 4:30 am) however on Monday I got up for work at 2:15 in the morning (dropped katherine off at the airport at 3:06)...so my friend...it was the middle of the morning...not the middle of the night...

Jeff B said...

Sending out prayers to you my friend. Sorry to hear about your loss. From what you've written in the past, he sounded like a pretty good guy.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

OK...I get it Teamster...but in MY WORLD, that is the middle of the night...LOL

And you are a good man making sure she got to the airport...

none said...

My condolences. It sounds like he had a happy and productive life.

Can't wait to read some stories about him.

Mel said...

k.....made my heart hurt.....

For you, for her, for the mom, for everyone who'll be feeling that void...

I'm glad you got to share some jack with him and that he got to take that money from folks again.

And of course there's prayers and positive thoughts being sent.

But most of all:
The death of someone we know always reminds us that we are still alive...perhaps for some purpose which we ought to re-examine.
....there's this.
What a gift to pass on in the passing, yaknow?

*thinkin' of you and yours*

katherine. said...

I am ever so grateful to all of you. I feel the power of positive thoughts, good vibes and faithful prayer. I love having a large family....many of whom live a very long time. The more people you love...the more will pass on...and I know each of us experience it at some point in our lives.

Be good to each other. Tell someone how much you love them. ENJOY the little things.

Live Well
Laugh Often
Love Much

katherine. said...

...and since I was awake at oh-dark-thirty...it was actually the middle of the morning...smile

Mimi Lenox said...

Katherine - I am so sorry about your Papa. Peace be with you and your family.

Marilyn said...

I'm sorry. I'll say a prayer tonight for you and your mom.

Take care of yourself.

Norma said...

I'm sorry for your loss, and the stress of your mom's illness. This has got to be so tough for her not being able to go. He's fortunate to have lived and died on his own terms.