santa cruz wharf

09 July 2007

Manic Monday with Mo - Seven

The number seven is prominently found in a significant number of faiths and cultures. In the Judeo-Christian faith especially. The one which comes to my mind first is the Seventh Day.

Randomly…..

By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.
Genesis 2:2-3 NIV

Not wanting to wade into a debate on which day (Saturday or Sunday) is more appropriate…and fully acknowledging that other faiths including Muslim and Buddhist… purport a weekly day of rest...I want to point out that it is even number three on of the Almighty’s Top Ten.

Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the LORD your God has commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of your animals, nor the alien within your gates, so that your manservant and maidservant may rest, as you do. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.
Exodus 20:8-11
( as a child my father and I FREQUENTLY debated over which took precedent…this commandment or the one about honoring your Father and your Mother…which FOLLOWS this one…usually when he wanted me out doing yard work or cleaning the garage.)

You gotta admit in the United States the concept of the seventh day of rest dictates much our culture. Banks and post offices are closed. Many stores are closed…and most other have limited hours of operation. I’ve been in parts of the Midwest and the South where you can’t buy alcohol on Sunday. And stores where they will sell you a bucket…but not a mop.

From Wikipedia:
Protestants are increasingly concerned that the values of the marketplace do not dominate entirely, and deprive people of leisure and energy needed for worship, for the creation of civilized culture. The setting of time apart from and free from the demands of commerce is one of the foundations of a decent human society.

Do you acknowledge a day of rest?

Do you keep the Sabbath?

11 comments:

Mo and The Purries said...

The town where my shop is located is basically all closed on Sunday.
Even from Thanksgiving to Christmas, when the Chamber of Commerce asks us to be open on Sundays, many of the stores will not.
In the summer, I'm not complaining. It gives me one day off a week.
cheers,
mo

Anonymous said...

I personally believe that our faith should not be a team sport, and that the Commandments were intended for individuals. So, like mourning the loss of a loved one, we all must follow the way we feel we need to.

My sabbath is on a Wednesday.

I often wonder when the Hebrew word 'sabbat' came to mean something more than just a day off. The only word in the english version of the Ten Commandments that wasn't translated from Hebrew.

Anonymous said...

I do not, and I have to admit that my life is...less...for not taking a day off. Everything is open on Sundays here except the bank and government buildings.

Anonymous said...

Usually Sundays are our days as a family. We try to rest. But, it's not always restful. We try our best, though.

Michael C said...

I am Catholic and try to observe the Sabbath everyday. For some reason, there are few who let me ;-)

Mel said...

We're in a smalltown that rolls back the sidewalk on Sunday.
Personally, I like it cuz it's my excuse to practice 'doing nothing'.

But that doesn't quite compare to Shabbat of my youth.

(doesn't even come close.......)

Travis Cody said...

Happy MM!!

Anonymous said...

And, you know, honoring our mother and father is not the same as obeying our mother and father. C;)

katherine. said...

Mo: the stores being closed is cool for the workers...but not so much if you want to shop (smile)

Craig: "our" faith should not be a team sport? Yes faith is truly a one-on-one. And much of what is asked of us (commanded or otherwise) is asked of us as an individual. However for me it is a joyous and comforting path. Having known the loss of a loved one...more than once...I can not compare it to that mouring.

yes..curious that is the only word without a translation....hmmmm...

katherine. said...

kat: a day of rest...or one of not work could make the other six more productive...and enjoyable.

CW Mom: Sundays were fam days for us also...and not very restful until the kids were older!

Michael: you catholics have a different take on EVERYthing...smile

katherine. said...

Mel: small towns seem to do more of that...okay now I want to know the story of the "Shabbat of my youth"

Trav: back as ya

Craig: at 11 I didn't know that. In fact I probably didn't quite grasp the difference until I was a Mommy myself. There was some sort of transfer of power when I became responsible for another life...