1. The SCBG which typically runs between the Redwoods and the Beach Boardwalk has a limited special “Holiday” Lights Train this time of year.
4. There were three enclosed railcars…which have really soft velvet seats and way cool decorations.
6. Part of the route is right through town…people are walking and driving…and some come out of their homes as we go by. About 77% of the people you pass wave back. Some even flash their lights and honk.
7. It is really fun to cause cars to stop on city streets. I have been in one of those stopped cars…I always wave back.
9. I soooo need to read the book on how to use my camera in the dark. Or start saving up for a better camera. It wasn’t raining…or snowing....just a bit of the coastal marine layer (aka fog.)
10. The train passes slowly thru the Mission Hills Tunnel which is 927 feet long and built in the 1880’s. It runs beneath the Holy Cross elementary school. (the English translation of Santa Cruz is Holy Cross). The wooden sides of the tunnel are within reach from the train. My Mama actually told me to be careful and not lean out so far. I’m forty-eight years old…apparently still a tad immature….cause my response was to lean out farther…..smile
12. Afterwards we went to one of our favorite restaurants for a night cap. We also shared onion rings, crème brulee, and berry cobbler with ice cream.
13. I think I’m going to make this a new Christmas tradition for the willing adults in the family…